Sport & Physical Activity L3 Cambridge Technical
2023/2024 & 2024/2025
Learners should have a real interest in sport and also in science relating to sport. This course is designed for those who are thinking about pursuing a career in physiotherapy, personal training or sports development amongst others. In this course, learners will be equipped with the skills to deliver high-quality sports sessions, analyse elite-level performance and gain an understanding of the psychological aspects of sport and exercise.
Level 3 Sport aims to:
- Give all students the opportunity to gain a new, nationally recognised qualification that can be used when applying either for future education or employment.
- Provide a wide-ranging, intellectually demanding vocational learning experience
- Use the motivating interest in sport to promote academic learning.
- Give the students opportunities to acquire a scientific understanding of how the body responds to sport and exercise in different scenarios.
- It will extend the students’ knowledge in the organisation of sport in the UK and abroad, as well as the main psychological, social and physiological factors that affect the performance of a practical skill.
Requirements for Study
- APS 3.7 or above
- 9 - 4 in English Language or English Literature
The Cambridge Technical Level 3 Sport has both exam and coursework elements. There are 4 externally assessed Units that comprise of 4 exams over the 2-year course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
Mandatory units range from exams, controlled assessments to written coursework. These cover topics such as the body systems and the effects of physical activity, sport coaching and activity leadership, performance analysis in sport and exercise, sports leadership, sports event organisation, nutrition and diet for sport and exercise and health and fitness testing for sport and exercise.
Level 3 Sport is equivalent to either 1 or 2 A Levels and must be studied over two years to achieve a grade.
As well as the above, students will also be expected to take part in regular lesson support or assist with lower school and primary school activities.
The level of attainment will be marked individually for each unit of the course, in line with Cambridge Technical guidelines. The grades will be:
Successfully completing this course will allow learners to acquire the skill set to transition straight into the sport and leisure industry undertaking entry-level roles within a leisure centre or local sports club. Within further qualifications building on the knowledge obtained, learners can then specify their interests in order to become a sports coach or gym instructor.
This course is a perfect stepping stone for degree-level courses at university, opening the opportunities to become a qualified Physical Education teacher, physiotherapist, sports psychologist and many more!