DATES CONFIRMED: 24 - 25 JULY 2023
All students due to start Year 7 at OSA in September are invited to attend Summer School during the summer break. The aim of OSA’s Summer School is to deliver a blend of academic education and enrichment activities to support effective transition to secondary school. Planning for the Summer School is based around the objectives outlined below:
Provide a head start to secondary life for Year 7 students
- Host the programme on the school site to support students’ familiarisation with their new environment.
- Design a timetable and curriculum content with a heavy focus on building relationships and routines, including:
- Opportunities to meet a range of teaching and support staff, including the Year 7 pastoral team;
- Opportunities to make new friends in large and small group settings with activities that facilitate team building;
- Opportunities to become accustomed to school routines and develop positive patterns of behaviour.
Support educational recovery for Year 7 students
- Incorporate a range of subjects with lesson content delivered in an enjoyable and positive learning experience.
- Incorporate a range of practical subjects that may differ to their primary experience, such as PE, Art and Drama.
Support wellbeing for Year 7 students
- Incorporate enrichment activities such as team events and sports.
- Incorporate confidence-building sessions such as Drama.
- Incorporate a prize-giving event to celebrate success.
- Ensure float staff on site to provide pastoral support and strategies as needed.