Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

At Onslow St Audrey’s we understand that every child brings a unique pattern of strengths and areas of need to our community and as a school we aim to fulfill the potential of all students.  Our dedicated SEND department is known as 'The Base'. Here we provide personalised support through one to one and group sessions.

We want all of our students to feel valued, cared for and supported and we encourage them to develop a wide range of skills and interests in preparation for life beyond the classroom. Learning should be enjoyable and all young people should be proud of the progress they make.

We have a dedicated specialist team of Learning Support Assistants who have extensive knowledge and experience in working with young people with a wide range of needs. They deliver ranges of provisions and interventions to support students in overcoming any barriers which stand in the way of them fulfilling their potential. These interventions include one to one and small group literacy support, handwriting, phonics, numeracy, functional life skills and social and emotional groups.

Pupils who are the subject of an Education, Health and Care Plan, will have their needs met through the recommended provision.

Onslow St Audrey's Whole School Provision Map 2022/23

The SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator) is the person responsible for the day to day management of the learning needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and can be contacted at school for further information.

SENCO: Ms D Powell


Speech and Language

Onslow St Audrey’s School has a specially resourced provision for pupils with with Speech, Language and Communication needs.

Places are allocated by a provision panel from Hertfordshire County Council.

All students who access The Base provision are fully integrated into mainstream education and come to The Base for various interventions and speech and language therapy.

The Base has a Speech and Language therapist on site for 1.5 days per week. This time is used to provide individual, paired or group therapy sessions and to carry out observations of students in their mainstream lessons. The therapist also works closely with teaching staff to provide continuing professional development.

For further information and/or discussion, you are advised to contact your Area S.E.N. officer, whose name should be on your child’s Education, Health and Care Plan.