P.E. and Dance
Physical Education is the practical and theoretical development of knowledge, skills and techniques.
Career opportunities from studying Physical Education:
- Sports coach
- Professional sportsperson
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3 all students enjoy a vast range of sporting activities. A selection of these include football, netball, basketball, badminton, dance, gymnastics, trampolining, rounders, fitness, athletics and cricket.
In years 7 and 8 the focus is towards learning and building on fundamental skills e.g. throwing and kicking. Once these have been accomplished it then becomes about refining those skills learnt through the development of technique. Whilst the practical element is important, learning and the understanding of these skills are enhanced by developing knowledge of techniques, tactics, positioning and rules.
Key Stage 4
Students will be studying a Level 2 OCR Course in Sports Studies. 75% of the course is based on continuous assessment through Coursework. The remaining 25% is completed through an exam.
The students will complete the 4 units below:
- Unit 1: Contemporary Issues in Sports (Exam)
- Unit 2: Developing Sports Skills (Coursework)
- Unit 3: Working in the Sports Industry (Coursework)
- Unit 4: Leading Sports Activities (Coursework)
Lessons will consist of:
Contemporary Sports Issues
- Issues surrounding Participation in Sport.
- They will explore the values that Sport has at its core.
- They will investigate what it is like to host a Sports event.
- They will look at Governing bodies and what they do in Sport.
Developing Sports Skills
- They will need to use skills, techniques and tactics as an individual performer.
- They will need to use skills, techniques and tactics as a team performer.
- They will need to be able to officiate Sporting activities.
- Be able to apply practice methods as a way to improve performance.
Working in the Sports Industry
- Research into the areas of employment within Sport.
- Look at the skills and knowledge required to work in Sport.
- Apply for jobs within the Sports Industry.
- Understand the impact that the Sports Industry has within the UK.
Leading Sports Activities
- Know the attributes associated with successful sports leadership.
- Plan and lead sports activities within a chosen sport.
- Review planning and leading of sports activities and identify areas of strength and development.
Participation in OCR Sports Studies course will:
- Prepare your child for a career in the sports and leisure industry
- Provide an educational base for further training, further education or for employment within the sports and leisure industry, coaching, teaching or sports media.
- Motivates learners via applied learning and assessment
Homework will consist of:
Students will be set revision tasks and Coursework development tasks as homework. They will be expected to attend extra-curricular clubs and represent the school in various sporting activities. It is important that students work on their coursework and exam assignments in their own time to achieve the best grade possible.
Monitoring of Progress:
Progress will be monitored through the completion of coursework and knowledge and understanding of the Exam unit. Each unit has a certain number of tasks and students have to complete these tasks to either a level 1 or a level 2 Pass, Merit or Distinction standard. If all units are completed to a level 2 Distinction standard, a Distinction* can be awarded (equivalent to A*).