Food and Nutrition
As part of their work with food, students will be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Instilling a love of cooking in students will also open a door to one of the great expressions of human creativity. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables students to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
Career opportunities from studying Catering:
- Research: Food Scientist
- Catering Industry: Cook/Chef
- Health Industry: Nutritionist/Dietitian
- Food Manufacturing: Food Technologist/ New Product Design
Key Stage 3 (Yr. 7, 8 & 9)
Students are taught to understand and apply the principles of nutrition and health.
- They will cook a repertoire of predominantly savoury dishes so that they are able to feed themselves and others a healthy and varied diet.
- They will become competent in a range of cooking techniques for example, selecting and preparing ingredients; using utensils and electrical equipment; applying heat in different ways; using awareness of taste, texture and smell to decide how to season dishes and combine ingredients; adapting and using their own recipes.
- They will begin to understand the source, seasonality and characteristics of a broad range of ingredients.
Key Stage 4 (Yr. 10 & 11)
At KS4 students have the option of choosing GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition. This is a two year course in which students gain a variety of skills through the preparation of foods and also gain knowledge in Nutrition and food science.
As well as practical cookery, students will learn about the provenance of foods, where they come from, how they are produced and how this impacts on our environment. They also learn the science behind the cookery of foods, understanding both the health related nutrition implications of foods and they chemical processes that occur during cooking of foods that impact taste and appeal.
For their coursework they are required to cook three dishes in a MasterChef style exam where they will be assessed on their creativity and ability in the kitchen.
More information about the course is available at http://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/food-preparation-and-nutrition/
The school has a fully integrated catering suite with multi fuel cookers, microwaves, sinks, dishwashers and washing machines. The catering suite also benefits from an interactive white board enabling full interactive demonstrations.