Physical Education is the practical and theoretical development of knowledge, skills and techniques.
Career opportunities from studying Physical Education:
- Sports coach
- Professional sportsperson
Specific subject required:
BTEC Sport Level 2 Merit or above or equivelent
GCSE PE Grade B or above
Average Point Score (APS) 40
A successful interview.
Who should take the course?
Students should have a real interest in sport and also in science relating to sport. Students should be willing to explore new theories and form their own ideas and opinions from these. Ideally when studying this course, students should be looking at a pathway into a Sport and Exercise Science related degree at University.
What is the course about?
BTEC Level 3 Sport and Exercise Science Aims to:
- Give all students the opportunity to gain a new, nationally recognised qualification that can be used when applying either for future education or employment
- Provide a wide-ranging, intellectually demanding vocational learning experience
- Use the motivating interest in sport to promote academic learning
- Give the students opportunities to acquire a scientific understanding of how the body responds to Sport and Exercise in different scenarios.
- It will extend the students knowledge in the organisation of sport in the UK and abroad, as well as the main psychological, social and physiological factors that affect the performance of a practical skill.
How is it assessed?
The BTEC Level 3 Sport and Exercise Science has both exam and coursework elements. There are three externally assessed Units that comprise of 2 exams and 1 controlled assessment over the 2 year course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
Mandatory units range from exams, controlled assessments to written coursework. These cover topics such as Sport and Exercise Physiology, Functional Anatomy, Sports Psychology, Fitness Testing, Applied research methods in Sport and Exercise Science, Coaching for Performance, Physical Activity for Individual and Group based Exercise and Sports Massage.
The BTEC Level 3 Sport and Exercise Science is equivalent to two ‘A’ Level grades A – E and must be studied over the two years.
As well as the above, students will also be expected to take part in regular lesson support or assist with lower school and primary school activities.
The level of attainment will be marked individually for each unit of the course, in line with BTEC guidelines. The grades will be:
An overall grade is awarded for the qualification based on the performance in each unit.
Where will it take me?
With further training or study, students can go into careers in:
- Sports Centres
- Sports Clubs
- Leisure Centres
- Outdoor Activities Centres
- University Courses
For further information please contact